Sunday, September 28, 2008

An Ode To My Friends:

I went to my friend, Sarah's house today with the kids. She and her husband went to Las Vegas to get married. Today was the party for friends and family to celebrate with them. It was about an hour drive, so that gave me plenty of time to think...I burned three cd's. 

I got The Pussycat Dolls - Doll Domination, Leona Lewis - Spirit and The New Kids On The Block - The Block. They were actually great songs to listen to. The kids and I enjoyed it, so much so, that I actually have one of the PCD songs playing in my head, still. I meant that in a good way.

So, we hung out and introduced ourselves to those who didn't know us. Everyone was eating and drinking, but since I was drving, I only ate and had non-alcoholic beverages for the night. 
Sarah was pretty much busy here and there, which is not a bad thing. We all have to do it, it's part of entertaining. We talked while she was doing her thing.
And as usual, the time comes when you plan your exit and say your goodbyes. This is the part that really sucks, because anyone who really knows me, knows that I don't like the word goodbye or bye. That means it is too final. I like to say see you later or talk to you later, cya and so on.
Usually when you hear me say that, it is because I am on auto-pilot with words. If you ever worked retail and have been on auto-pilot with your words, you may have found yourself messing up and saying have a good night, when it is daytime, because you were so used to saying one thing?
On the drive back to home, I was getting upset with myself for being really bad with connecting with other people. I am awful at sending cards and invites, and even worse at sending thank you's. I have a hard time returning calls, I don't really know why. Probably because I don't have the attention span to just sit there with something held to my head for long periods of time. Alot of times, I don't really know what to say or talk about. Honestly, I really think I have a boring life. Everyone asks me how I am doing, what have I been up to. And my answer is always the same boring answer. I always wish that I had something exciting to respond with, but I never know what to say or no matter how boring it is, make it sound wicked exciting. I am pretty much bad with emailing, although, that is the easiest way for me to contact friends. If it weren't for email, everyone would probably think that I fell off the bottom of the earth. 
I found myself thinking on my way home tonight about how I hadn't seen her in about 2 years and how we have known each other for so long (since Kindergarten or 4 years old) and still have kept in touch with my bad friend etiquette? And then I was upset because I realized that I am like that with everyone and how I didn't want to be with my friends like people usually are with family. You only see them at births and deaths and weddings if you are lucky. 
So, when I got home, I posted a comment on 5 friend's myspace/facebooks and I sent 3 emails, 2 of which I wrote what I was thankful for.
One of the emails was written to Sarah, but as I re-read it, thought it would be more appropriate to send to all of my friends, since this is what I think for all of them. 
So, here goes an Ode To My Friends:

Hey Sarah, Just wanted to say thanks, the kids and I had a great time, I wish Shawn could have made it, he would of had a great time, too. I Loved the theme and the cakes...and everything! You and Shannon really know how to throw a party. :) I can't wait for us to get together again. It's times like these that I find myself driving home and getting upset with myself for not contacting my friends more often than I actually do. Forgive me? Talk to you soon, ~Jeanne

No comments:

Post a Comment