Friday, September 5, 2008

Life's Uncertainty

I can't believe we made it through the first week of school. Is it just my kids or does any one else's seem to act up as soon as they start going to school? I have been noticing a trend of my kids behaving well during vacations and weekends. But as soon as they start school, they start to adopt other kid's behaviors, or that is where I think it is coming from, even though the less to be desired attitudes don't work in my house, they still try it. I want to believe that they are just trying to find themselves and testing the limits. But there is something inside of me that is telling me that this "new" behavior is here to stay. Oh Gosh, I hope not. This year it is yelling, last year it was getting in trouble during school, the year before it was leaving class without permission and the year before that it was wanting to wear make-up. What is going on?
I am hoping for another good school year for the kids because last year they got perfect attendance. They missed zero days, even though each of them went to school when they were sick. They still went to school and didn't go to the nurse's office and made it through the day without having to come home. This year we are shooting for perfect attendance again, but this time with zero tardies. So far, mission accomplished.

On another note, my car was hit the first week in August. My husband and I went to a concert and we got home in the wee A.M. hours. We had just gotten home when our neighbors were outside and asked if we heard that. Heard what, I asked. They said someone just hit my car about five minutes ago. We were walking up and down the road in the dark. Finally, they found the tire marks in the road which went on our grass and into the back of my car. Someone hit it and did not leave any information. I have basic car insurance, which does not cover hit and runs. This is not good. I couldn't believe that someone could just hit my car and just run off, pretending like it never happened. Do they have any idea the snowball effect that is happening because of their dishonesty? First of all, this is not only my car, this is a safe, reliable vehicle for my kids to get to their doctor's appointments, school, visit family and friends, travel to work and whatever daily business may occur. They took away from me but ultimately, from my kids. My car is overdue for a grease and oil change and has a July inspection sticker. I haven't done any of those because I wanted to decide what I was going to do with my car. I don't have the money to fix it. I didn't know if I was going to save money to fix it or if I was going to have to sell it. So, I went to Rick's Auto Body to get an estimate. A man came outside and looked at my car. I showed him where and explained what happened. He was walking around to the other side of my car and noticed another damage. I told him not to worry about that because that was from a different accident and I had an insurance check to fix that, but I wasn't worried about that anymore because of the new damage. He introduced himself and said, I am Rick by the way and we shook hands. I said Rick himself? And he said yes. How cool? It is not often that you meet the actual owner. Before going there, I had just been at a friend's house. Her mother offered to pay me to iron her laundry, which I agreed to. The basket was in my car because from her house, I went straight to Rick's Auto Body. He asked me to take everything out of the back and he would take a look at it. So, I went and did exactly that. While taking the basket out, I explained that a woman was paying me to iron her laundry. He said: so you are capable of working, then. I answered yes. He asked me if I had computer experience, if I knew how to type, if I had any office experience. All of which were answered with a big fat yes. So he said that he liked me, he didn't know why, but he was going to talk to the girl that hires and fires about me and ask her to talk to me. How awesome is that?! Then he said he would fix the driver's side door, the back door, put new tires on, an alignment and fix the tail light, so that it would pass inspection for the amount of the check. How awesome? I don't think anyone, including himself has any idea of how much that helped me. Here I was before even going there, wondering how was I going to get a new car if I had to sell mine, feeling down on myself for not having a job and feeling bad for the kids because they would have to walk to and from school, no matter the weather or weather conditions. And with one man and one moment, he changed my whole life's perspective.
The next day I showed up to drop off the check, car, keys and have that interview. I sat down with Sue and we chatted for a bit about my work experience, employment history, work hours and such. It was nice to be able to talk about that but at the same time, nerve wracking. You never know what people are thinking inside their heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment