Wednesday, December 3, 2008

30 and Wiser

30 And Wiser


I am turning 30 this year. I knew this, so I have been preparing myself for this moment for quite a while now. It's not as miserable as everyone made it seem when I was younger. I'm excited to turn 30. This is going to be a significant year for me, which goes perfectly with Obama's tagline: We need change!

There are quite a few significant things that stick out in my memories while I sit here and write this and that led me to write this.
  • Like when my parents used to say that if we didn't like something, then when we turned 18 we could move out. I remember being 8 years old and my dad was on the side porch cooking something on the grill and my mom sitting in the lawn chair keeping him company when he had said that to me and thinking, in 10 more years I can.
  • And then I remember turning 10 years old and remembering that same moment and thinking how weird it was that the numbers were the same but flipped.
Numbers have always been something almost too coincidental in my life. Not that I play the lottery because I can't afford that.
  • For instance, I was born in '78 and Tooheyworld was born in '68, that's 10. We were together for 10 years before we got married and my parents are 10 years apart.
  • Tooheyworld and I are both born in December, that's 12. I was 21 when I was pregnant, that's 12, reversed.
  • The TooheyBugs were born in March, so that's 3 and my dad passed away March 3.
  • My due date with Daniela was March 1 and she was born March 10 and Jacob was born on March 1.
  • And all four of our birthstones are the color blue.
  • My birthdate is December 3 translating to 123 and Tooheyworld's birthday is December 22, so that's 122. (Not that that one is significant, but still fits in with what I'm talking about.)
Maybe I am reading too much into the whole number thing, but I know there are many of you who understand what I'm saying.

I look back to how much I have grown and how much I have yet to grow. In my 30 years of life:
  • I love my family; I truly understand the meaning "blood is thicker than water"
  • Grieved the passing away of my dad
  • Graduated High School at 17 years old
  • Joined the military, U.S. Air Force shortly before graduating High School; I was in for 6 1/2 years
  • Got out with an Honorable Discharge
  • Got to fly on a plane before 9/11
  • Had many jobs; quit, got laid off and fired
  • Met Tooheyworld at 18 years old
  • Had 2 children at 21 years old and 23 years old
  • Got married at 28 years old
  • Have owned 3 cars; 2 of which were totalled and 1 bit the dust
  • Went to college
  • Made friends, lost friends, reconnected with old friends
  • Own my own business (which I should get back to, but just overwhelmed with everything else right now)
  • Became an Aunt 5 times to 2 nephews and 3 nieces and another niece on the way
  • Watched Tooheyworld's nieces, nephews and adopted brother grow up, too. They all ranged from the ages of 4 years old to 12 years old, now they are 15 years old to 23 years old.
  • Got a gray hair of two
  • Never got stitches
  • Finally, I know what I want to do with my life, career
  • Paid for my cars with cash
  • Finally know how to drink within my limits
  • Modeled while I was still had it going on
  • Did body art; I was a mermaid
  • Got body piercings; Never got a tatoo
  • Maintained my body weight; I am the same weight now as I was pre-childbearing
  • Rented a car
  • Voted 3 times for President
  • Never got a cavity; never got my wisdom teeth
  • Never broke a bone
  • Never had braces
  • Never drunk driving
  • Never been arrested; Never went to jail
  • Never went on a honeymoon
  • Been a fan of Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston and N.K.O.T.B. and a few others when they first became popular and still am a fan of them.
  • Met a few celebrities; Davy Jones from The Monkees, Amanda Palmer and Brian Viglione from The Dresden Dolls, Kurt Allison from Jason Aldean's band, 2 members from Abba's Band and Lynn Barry from 22 News.

No comments:

Post a Comment